Saturday, June 11, 2022 / by Jerry A
Carbon monoxide poison is a silent danger that claims over 400 lives in the U.S. annually, as well as over 20,000 visits to the emergency room, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
To keep your family safe, know the signs of carbon monoxide poisoning:
- Shortness of breath
“Safety is our top priority at DTE Energy, and we urge residents to be particularly alert to carbon monoxide danger during the fall and winter heating season. It’s when CO exposure most frequently occurs,” says Brad Burcz, senior safety and health engineer, DTE Energy. “One of the best defenses against CO poisoning is to install a carbon monoxide alarm near all sleeping areas in your home. If dangerous levels of CO are detected, an audible alarm will alert you.”
DTE offers the following tips to prevent CO poisoning in homes and businesses:
- For businesses, install carbon monoxide alarms in main areas away from vents and appliances or equipment that produce smoke or steam.
- Replace batteries in CO alarms annually.
- If a CO alarm is activated, or the presence of carbon monoxide is suspected, immediately get out of the house or building into fresh air, and if necessary, seek medical attention.
- Ensure all fuel-burning appliances are operating and venting properly.
- Get an annual furnace inspection by a licensed professional.
- Check yearly to verify flues, vents and chimneys are connected, in good condition and clear of debris.
Like this update? As your local real estate professional, I can provide more great tips like this and answer any real estate information questions you may have. Contact me today!
Keller Williams Honolulu
1347 Kapiolani Blvd.
Honolulu, HI 96814
Office Phone: (808) 596-2888
Mobile Phone: (808) 208-5065